CBK Hardware, with the initiative of the HR Department, collaborated with Intellicare for a Wellness Lecture entitled “Hypertension and the Cardiovascular Connection.” This is to support the World Heart Day celebration last September 29.
Intellicare, the country’s preeminent health maintenance organization (HMO) that provides top-quality and innovative integrated approach to healthcare management, invited one of their resident doctors, Dr. Jerry Trinidad, who is a trauma surgeon and Rehabilitation Management Doctor of East Avenue Medical Center to share a few things about hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
Here are some tips from Dr. Trinidad on how to keep your heart healthy:
- Follow a healthy diet of whole-grain fiber, proteins, fruits, and vegetables. Get active. The American Heart Association suggests 30 minutes of exercise on most days of the week.
- Maintain a healthy weight. A significant increase in your body weight and waistline puts a strain on your heart and increases the risk of hypertension and heart problems.
- Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke. Smoking can increase your blood pressure and your risk of blood clots.
- Get a good sleep. Aim for an average of eight hours of sleep every night for healthier arteries.
- Reduce stress. Manage your stress with yoga and meditation that will help you relax.
- Limit alcohol intake. Too much alcohol can raise your triglycerides (fat levels in blood) as well as lead to hypertension, heart failure, and obesity.
- Monitor your blood sugar level. Take preventive action to avoid diabetes by getting regular blood sugar tests and reducing intake of processed carbs.
- Visit the doctor. Get regular exams of your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Know your family history. Talk to your doctor if your family has a history of heart disease. You may be at an increased risk.
The Hypertension and the Cardiovascular Connection lecture is part of the CBK Hardware HR Department Wellness Lecture Series. This employee engagement program that provides series of lectures, empowers more than 500 employees to have a holistic approach in health and wellness. Strengthen CBK Hardware’s commitment towards achieving a healthy and motivated workforce.